No Red Lights: Hockey: The Low Down: [4/22] Playoff Goalie Match Ups - Goalie News And Instruction By Roxanne Gaudiel

The Low Down: [4/22] Playoff Goalie Match Ups

Thomas vs. Price/Halak(??) [7pm]

Boston will shutout (possibly by way of shut out) Montreal tonight. Overall, it was a bit of a disappointing series. With two such legacied teams in the NHL, both of which have an immense amount of talent, I would have liked to see some closer play. Thomas has been the epitome of stability for Boston all season long and is proving that experience and maturity does matter. While it would be nice to see these two teams play another game, with the big question mark in Montreal's netminding, I don't think there will be a game 5.
So the question of the night becomes, will Halak get the start in game 4? Price has certainly left the door open for him, especially after so many straight-on shots from the top of the circles going in (I think I even saw some short-side goals!). In the last half of the regular season, Halak had proved that he can be reliable. I wouldn't be surprised if Gainey makes a statement -- Price you're out of here -- by playing Halak in game 4. But then again, Price was Montreal's #2 pick in the Draft. Teams have a tough time letting go of such a player, just look at the Islander's blinding committment to Dipietro.

Varlamov vs. Lundqvist [7pm]
Like I said in yesterday's review, I was impressed by Varlamov; and the ESPN highlights are convincing. But like all rookies, at some point, their shield will come down and their Achilles heels will be exposed. There is no city like New York (for better or for worse), that can take advantage of a sign of weekness. Even though Lundqvist had a busy 40+ shot night on Monday, I expected him to be a bit better on his positioning a movement. I think he'll regain his composure and have a solid game tonight. This game is a tough one to call. But in the spirit of the city I live in, the Rangers have to take this one.

Khabibulin vs. Kiprusoff [10pm]
This is shaping up to be one of the most exciting series of the first round, which I guess should not be so surprising. You have two battle tested goalies -- who have actually faced off against each other in a Game 7 Cup Championships -- and they both know the meaning of the Stanley Cup.  I wouldn't count on either goalie to falter much during the next few games.