No Red Lights: Hockey: Mar. 17th, 2009: NHL Saves of the Week - Goalie News And Instruction By Roxanne Gaudiel

Mar. 17th, 2009: NHL Saves of the Week



The March 17th Saves of the Week has an important theme throughout many of the saves: body weight and the advantages of leaning towards the puck. In the saves where the goalie must make a long-lateral move, notice how each of the goalies are not just moving their legs and arms towards the puck, but also their chest. When moving laterally, I find that this is one of the most difficult moves to make. I don't have a good reason why:

  • When I played, sometimes there was a fear element (it is really hard to go even closer to the shot when a forward is teeing up a one-time and you know your whole side is exposed).
  • Sometimes I found that I was not on my angle when I was sliding over. If I had gone too far, maybe I was leaning back in order to slow down my momentum.
  • Sometimes I did not do a good job of watching/tracking the puck. This would mean that I could not lean into the shot because I wasn't sure where it was coming from.
  • And sometimes my hands did not move together. Maybe I left my stick behind (if I was moving with my glove hand leading). If this happens, my shoulders were now pulled apart, and there is no way to lean into the shot if one of your shoulders is already behind you. I would need to bring both hands back together, so that my body weight was back to center. Then I could lean into the shot.


**Note on this video. This video is from NHL.com and runs on Adobe Flash video plugin. Right now, this embedded video does not have the capability to pause and play the video (you can only stop and then would have to reload the web page). To go to the video source where you can pause and play:
follow this link:
NHL Saves of the Week 3/10/09