No Red Lights: Hockey: The Low Down: [4/25] NHL Playoff Goalie Match Ups - Goalie News And Instruction By Roxanne Gaudiel

The Low Down: [4/25] NHL Playoff Goalie Match Ups

Lundqvist (NYR) vs. Varlamov (WAS) [7pm]
This is it. The Rangers could upset, which would probably be the most exciting and unexpected performances by the Rangers since '94. I expect to see another big showdown between Lundqvist and Varlamov (also another unexpected and thrilling match up). I am interested to see how Varlamov responds to his second playoff loss and his first elimination game. He responded to his last loss with a shutout; is he capable of another one? It may be the only way to beat the impenetrable Lundqvist. The man has been stellar for the Rangers, and I don't think we should expect anything less.  With the margin for error so small, I would not be surprised to see an OT thriller for game 5. There haven't been that many OTs so far this playoff season, and I think we're due.


--------------

Even though the Rangers v. Caps game is the only game tonight, there is still plenty to talk about from last night. I'm not sure what was more unexpected: both goalies make 40+ saves in the Devils/'Canes shooting spree (and to have one goalie come away with the shutout!); Biron's 180 degree turn produces a shutout; or Steve Mason's 180 degree turn in his stats (from a regular season 2.28 GAA/91.6% to 4.26 GAA/87.8%).

And the winner (in my opinion) is.... (drumroll)... Martin Biron! He's been in a decent slump lately, and I wasn't expecting this kind of fight from him. While I know he's an extremely capable goalie and has had flashes of great play this year, Pittsburg's firepower was seemingly too much for Biron. I guess the fear of elimination can make a goalie end their slump.  Although this cannot be said for Steve Mason. I would have like to see him become a darling of the playoffs, which would solidify his solid regular season play as being extremely legitimate. I think for next season he will definitely have to make another strong impression to stake his claim as one of the premier netminders in the league and not just a one-hit-wonder.  And for the other match-up, that was just not a shocker.  Both Ward and Brodeur are capable of stealing playoff games; the 40+ shots were just extra icing on this cupcake of a series.